Today’s recipe was inspired by all the fresh fruit around me these days. I wanted to create a very easy to make dessert that is not too sweet and includes big pieces of fruit. So that’s how vegan grits apricot cake was made.
I cooked it at my cousin’s place and after it was done we figured out that this vegan grits cake would be perfect either sweet or savory way. So let your imagination run wild and combine different things with it.
Vegan grits apricot cake (sugar-free)
An easy not-too-sweet dessert that can be served either sweet or savory.
- 400 g wholewheat flour
- 200 g grits
- 2 pinches of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 120 g maple syrup (I used honey)
- 400 ml coconut milk (1 can)
- 8 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons of cardamom
- 2 dl of water
- 2 teaspoons of lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 15 apricots (halved)
- Step 1 1. Start preheating the oven on 200ºC.
- Step 2 2. Mix all the dry ingredients except apricots well in a bowl.
- Step 3 3. Grease a cooking tray or use parchment paper. Size of my baking tray was 35cm x 29 cm.
- Step 4 4. Pour the mixture into baking tray. Places halves of apricots evenly (or not) on the mixture.
- Step 5 5. Bake for 30 minutes or until the knife comes out clean.
- Step 6 6. Let cool a bit and cute to small pieces with apricots in the middle.
- Step 7 7. Read below for ideas what to serve the cake with.
Wise-ass cornerFor sweet version we drizzled some tahini+date syrup+lemon juice caramel deliciousness all over the cake. The ratio was: 2 tablespoons of tahini, 6 tablespoons of date syrup and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. A pinch of salt on each piece did it’s own magic too.
For salty version we just topped it with some parmigiano. YUM!