Chickpeas tempeh from Kis in kvas was looking at me from the shelf in my fridge and kept asking “What are you going to prepare out of me?” I had hundred ideas but at the end I decided for this one. Quickly prepared and with simple ingredients. But there is a trick in this recipe! You can put the tempeh on the bread OR on zucchinis. You can marinate it in one or two marinades. Or you can make all 4 combos 🙂 Let’s start!
For one tray of goodes; Very simple; 10 min + 30 min of waiting
250 g tempeh (I used the chickpeas tempeh); sliced to around 0.5 cm thick slices
2 zucchinis or 1 smaller loaf of bread (or 1 zucchini and half of bread loaf)
3 dl of tomato sauce (if you have the plain sauce add some salt, oregano and olive oil and mix well)
Garlic marinade for tempeh (enough for 125 g of tempeh)
4 cloves of garlic; minced
3 tablespoons of olive oil
two pinches of dried oregano
Juice of 1⁄2 of lemon
2 pinches of salt
Smokey marinade for tempeh (enough for 125 g of tempeh)
4 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 teaspoons of smoked red paprika
2 tablespoons of honey; maple syrup for vegan version
- If you gonna use the zucchini slice it and sprinkle salt on it then leave for 30 minutes. After that wipe it with a clean kitchen towel.
- Marinade the tempeh in one or both marinades.
- Start preheating the oven on 200°C.
- Prepare the baking tray with baking paper. Put slices of zucchini and/or bread on it. Put the tomato sauce on the slices and top with pieces of marinated tempeh. Bake for around 10 minutes or until the tempeh is nicely baked.
- You can eat it warm but it’s delicious cold also.
I even took these snacks to the airport!