What is this thing with a weird name? Simple explanation – a dish from Arab world, coming from north African region that includes tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, eggs and other goodies. I ate it for the first time in Jordan in one of our Friday breakfasts. Delicious? Yes! All the flavours to my liking? Definitely! So I prepared it for breakfast today – when it is usually eaten. Prepare it yourself too, you will be amazed 🙂
For 2-4 people; Very simple; 10 min for preparation and 30+ min for cooking
Olive oil (around 4 tablespoons)
2 bell peppers (I used red and white ones); cubed
6 garlic cloves; minced
1 teaspoonful of sweet smoked red pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of dried garlic
Chilli (to your taste and liking)
700 g tomatoes; cubed
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
Parsley, dill, coriander,…
- Start heating the olive oil in a pan and add onion. Saute on middle heat until it slowly becomes brown.
- Add bell pepper and saute 6-8 minutes or until the bell pepper becomes soft.
- Then add the garlic and spices. Cook another 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, sugar and salt. Mix and bring the mixture to boil. Let it simmer around 20 minutes. Mix from time to time meanwhile.
- Then make space with a spatula in the mixture for eggs and lower the heat. Add the eggs and cook until the egg whites are firm.
- Serve with the decoration suggestions.
Really cook the eggs slowly on low heat. We want the egg yolk to be runny. If you want to cook the quicker cover the pan with a lid.If you are reading this recipe when the tomatoes are out of season – you can use the ones from the can.
You can also just mix the eggs into the mixture. But I think that eggs look much prettier like this 🙂