Pot barley is a really healthy ingredient and I wonder why don’t we use more of it? My grandma said she didn’t have a salad made with it for a long time so I came up with the recipe. It includes bell peppers and spinach form the garden. And also some feta cheese for extra creaminess. It’s definitely a dish you can enjoy for a lunch or take to a picnic.
For 4-6 people; Very simple; 40 minutes
400 g pot barley
2 bell peppers
2 handfuls of spinach
3 tablespoons of honey
3 tablespoons of olive oil
4 tablespoons of lemon juice
3 tablespoons of mustard
200 – 400 g feta cheese
- First cook the pot barley in salted water. Let it cook for 30-40 minutes.
- While it’s cooking chop the bell pepper to squares and saute the spinach on some oil. Chop it finely.
- In a bowl mix honey, olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and two pinches of salt.
- When the barley is cooked drain it and cool it down with cold water. Mix it with pepper, spinach and dressing. At this point add some more toppings if you feel like something is missing.
- Crumble the feta cheese and sprinkle it all over the salad.
- Serve right away or cool down in the fridge.