It was summer 2016 and 4 girls decided to go on a seaside for a week. We basically lived of polenta in 100 ways. Those memories are the bomb and since Ljubljana is so gloomy lately I decided to revive them trough this recipe.
For one tray (4 very hungry girls managed to eat all of it, but if you use it as a side dish it’s for around 6-8 people); Very simple; Time of preparation 30 min
400 g polenta
1,4 l water
1 bigger or 2 smaller zucchinis
4 fistfuls of spinach
500 ml tomato sauce
Black pepper, salt, thyme
- Cook the polenta in salted water and add butter when it’s cooked. Spread all of it on a big tray and let it cool.
- Meanwhile cut the zucchini to slices and saute them on olive oil.
- If you have a tomato sauce without spices – season it with salt and Mediterranean spices.
- Cut the polenta in half (so it will fit a smaller tray).
- Place the first half in the smaller tray, top it with half of grilled zucchinis, half of tomato sauce and half of spinach.
- Add another layer of polenta and repeat the procedure.
- Put a lot of parmigiano on it and bake in an oven for around 5-10 minutes on max.
Serve it with some sour cream if you’d like.
If you want a non-vegetarian version add some salami or bacon between layers and on top.
If you’re a fan of garlic put that in too.