I love gnocchi so I decided to make them a bit more colorful. I made them with beetroot. The mixture looks like a sugar fondant at the end, because the color is so pretty. It does disappear a bit when you cook them but that shouldn’t stop you from making them. The beetroot ands nice little sweetness to them 🙂
For a lot of gnocchi (6-8 people); 60 minutes; Medium difficulty
1.5 kg potatoes
300 g cooked beetroot
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
2 tablespoons of butter
600 g flour (plus more for kneading)
- Cook whole and unpeeled potatoes in salted water. This will last around 40 minutes, depends on the size of the potatoes. Check if they are cooked with a fork.
- Mix the beetroot with hand blender.
- When the potatoes are cooked – peel them and mash well (the more effort you put into mashing, the nicer the texture).
- Add salt, nutmeg, beetroot, butter and eggs. Mix well with a spoon. Gradually add flour and mix well.
- When it’s all mixed put the mixture on the floured surface and knead with hands.
- Then take smaller portions of the mixture, roll it and use a knife to cut it to gnocchi.
- If you want to use them right away cook them for around 3 minutes in boiling salted water. They are cooked when they float to the surface. If you want to store them, place them on floured board and freeze them.
I sautéed them on butter, salt and Mediterranean spices and at the end I added some grated cheese. I definitely recommend! 🙂