This was one of the first recipes I posted on this blog – 2 years ago when I was living in Portugal. Cucumber sauce and me are very close so I thought this recipe deserves better photos. And here we are – I am reposting it. A bit of backstory. My grandmother used to make cucumber sauce when I was little and I loved it back then and I still do now. I will just never forget that delicious smell coming all the way to front doors when I was returning from school. The side dish was always a pile of mashed potatoes. Sometimes she mixed in some zucchini too, but today I kept it old-school.
The bonus besides taste is also its simplicity because you need only few ingredients to make it. Let’s get cookin’!
A simple summer sauce you can make with only few ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 big cucumbers
- 200 ml cubed tomatoes in sauce (you can also use tomato sauce)
- Salt, black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of cooking plant based cream
- Step 1 1. Peel the onion and garlic and chop them. Peel the cucumbers (I usually prefer my veggies with skin on but in this case the texture is much better if they are peeled) and grate them to slices.
- Step 2 2. Put oil in a pan and add onion and garlic. Cook for around 5 minutes (add a few tablespoons of water to prevent it to burn). Then add cucumber and tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper and mix and cook for around 10 minutes.
- Step 3 3. When cucumbers are nicely soft mix in the cream.
- Step 4 4. Serve with some mashed potatoes.
Cook for shorter time if you like your cucumbers to have some crunch.I am a big fan of spices but here I intentionally left it as Slovenian as possible – with salt and pepper only. I do recommend some fennel though 🙂