This recipe brings our the most flavors out of only few ingredients. Maybe we could call it “stuffed bell peppers for lazy people”.
For 4 very hungry or 6 people as a side-dish; Very simple; 20 min of prep + 30 min in the oven
6 red bell peppers; halved and cleaned
2 tablespoons of oil
2 teaspoons of turmeric
2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
400 g cooked chickpeas
400 g cooked cous-cous
For the sauce:
300 ml tomato sauce
1 tablespoon of olive oil
Black pepper, salt, oregano, chilli
- Start preheating the oven on 220ºC (grill option on). Put red bell peppers on the baking tray with skin facing up. Bake 7-10 minutes or until the skin starts to get black spots. Then take it out of the over, turn the bell peppers around and bake on the other side for 7-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook onion on oil in a pan. Add turmeric and smoked paprika. If the onion sticks to the pan stir in 3 tablespoons of water. Add chickpeas, cous-cous and salt.
- Mix ingredients for the sauce in a bowl.
- Put the cous-cous and chickpeas mixture on bell peppers. Top with the sauce. Bake for another 12 minutes on 200ºC (grill option off).
- Serve right away or cooled down.
Dish is a good side dish of a big bowl of salad.
You can also use rice instead of cous-cous.
You don’t need to put the mixture nicely into the bell peppers, because they will get flat due to the roasting anyway. Just add the mixture evenly in the platter.